17 to ZERO Social Media Tips
- Use your unique fundraising link on all your social media platforms.
- If you choose to post about suicide, please use the phrase “died by suicide” or “passed away from suicide” or “completed suicide.” Please avoid using the term “committed suicide.” This is an outdated term that implies that suicide is a crime and furthers the stigma around the issue.
- You are welcome to share your own story of mental health, however, only if you are ready and comfortable. If you need help working through how you would share that story, please reach out to Mandy at the Help Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Videos or Facebook Live is a great way to share your fundraiser!
- You are welcome to provide resources in your posts:
- Help Center 24-Hour Crisis Line: 406-586-3333
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 24-Hour Line: 1-800-273-8255
- Veterans can call this number and Press "1" or Text to 838255
- MSU Counseling & Psychological Services: 406-994-4531
- Mentioning your goal is helpful.
- Posting information about suicide may bring up feelings for some. If anyone reaches out to you in crisis or needing help, please refer them to the Help Center's 24-Hour crisis line at 406-586-3333. MSU students can be referred to MSU Counseling & Psychological Services: 406-994-4531. This includes yourself!
- We love when fundraisers tag us!
Sample Social Media Posts
Feel free to change and use your own voice and insert your team name where appropriate. These are only examples.
- “I am proudly supporting 17 to ZERO: Communities engaging to end veteran suicide. Donate to my personal fundraiser and help me raise funds for veteran suicide prevention and mental health."
- "Preventing veteran suicide one step at a time. Help me reach my fundraising goal of _______ to raise funds for 17 to ZERO, an event helping to bring awareness to veteran suicide and prevention efforts."
- "Veterans have served our country, now help me serve them. Support veteran suicide prevention and mental health by donating to my fundraiser."
- “Help me make every step count. Donate to my 17 to ZERO fundraiser and raise money for veteran suicide prevention.”
- “I will be moving to prevent veteran suicide on April 17th for 17 to ZERO: Communities engaging to end veteran suicide. Donate today and help me reach my goal of____________.”
- “I am participating in 17 to ZERO for my own mental health and those I love. Donate to my fundraiser to support MSU student veteran mental health services and the Help Center, our local 24-Hour crisis and suicide center."
- “I will be moving in honor of ________ . Help make every step count and donate to my 17 to ZERO fundraiser.”
- “I am participating in 17 to ZERO in honor of ________. Please help me honor them by donating to my fundraiser, to raise funds for MSU student veteran mental health services and the Help Center, our local 24-Hour crisis and suicide center."
- “Suicide prevention and mental health is an issue near and dear to my heart. Please help me raise funds for local suicide prevention efforts.”
- “Did you know we lose 17 veterans to suicide every day? Help me support MSU student veterans and our local 24-Hour crisis and suicide center."
- "Did you know Montana has ranked in the top 5 states for suicide rates for the past 30 years?” Help me change that story by donating to my fundraiser."